“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

10 May 2008

D17: Cardiff - London

We left Wales by crossing the Severn Bridge into England. Our first stop was in the elegant Georgian city of Bath, famous for its Roman relics. We only had a brief stop because of our plans for later tonight, so I didn't get the chance to go into the Roman Baths, but one day I'd love to come back and explore.


From Bath we continued onto Stonehenge. On the way there, we drove past one of the White Chalk Horses that's been cut into the chalk hillside. Even from quite far away it was pretty impressive.


Not too long after we arrived at Stonehenge All I can say is WOW... And weather or not you believe any or all of the stories (speculation for why it was build ranges from human sacrifice to astronomy) and I was really impressive when I first saw it up close.

For lunch we stopped at Salisbury, the "City of the Soaring Spire", but again our time here was limited due to our plans to go to the Military Tattoo at Windsor Castle in the evening.

We got back to London around 2:30pm, so we had just over an hour to get ready to leave to go Windsor. We were really lucky to get the opportunity to go as this was the first ever Tattoo at Windsor, and it was being held as part of the Royal Windsor Horse Show. On the first day of our tour, our tour guide told us about this. It wasn't on the normal tour schedule and we were getting the opportunity because it was on the night our tour concluded in London. Out of our tour group about 20 of us had decided to to the tattoo, and there were about another 30 people from another tour.

We drove out to Windsor and once we arrived we made our way to the "Members Enclosure" where we had dinner. Afterwards we wandered around before taking our seats.



There was still no indication as to who would be in attendance to represent the royals, but he had heard the on the first night it was Princess Anne. When we took our seats we were directly opposite the "Royal Box".


So the show starts, and not long after, the Land Rover drove in....


And just look who stepped out...


We couldn't believe it. Liz & Phil decided to make their only appearance on the night I was there. Woo hoo!!!!

It was a really good show, and I'm really pleased I made the decision to go.
Liz looking like she was enjoying herself.


Liz & Phil departing..


We then got to see Windsor Castle at night.




It took us awhile to get to the carpak and then with the bus trip home, we eventually got back to the hotel at around 1am.

To see the rest of my photos from today, click here.

Hotel -
Novotel London St Pancras
(Kay's hotel rating - outstanding)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think..