The day started off with a morning sightseeing tour by a local guide. In the "Old Town," we drove up the narrow Royal Mile to Edinburgh Castle where we were able to explore the castle and admire Scotland's Crown Jewels.
On advice from a friend who'd done the tour before, I actually didn't go back on the bus back into town after finishing at the castle, instead I wandered down the Royal Mile.
A statue in its original form(ok, maybe not):
Good thing I did decide to wander down the Mile as I found this cute little shop "NESS SCOTLAND CLOTHING COMPANY" and I bought a gorgeous bag.
While wandering down the mile, I ran into Dulcie & Mick (remember them from York). I had this feeling they'd wandered off and probably hadn't told anyone they weren't going to be returning on the bus, so I gave Paul a quick call in case the search had begun for them. I later found out that they had started looking for them both, and they'd actually started wandering down the Royal Mile because they thought the bus was leaving at a quarter to, and not a quarter past, so they thought they'd been left behind.
While shopping in Edinburgh, I came across a concept store for DUO BOOTS. I found these guys online last year and had ordered a couple of pairs of boots from them as they specialize in calf fit boots. I'd had terrible trouble trying to find a pair of boots in stores here, but these were great. I was able to try the boots on in store, and they're then ordered online and will be sent directly to home. Anyway, I tried on a couple of pairs and ordered two more pairs... They'll probably take a couple of weeks to arrive and I'm sure I'll forget that I even ordered them, so I'll get a nice surprise when they eventually get here.
As a treat I had lunch at this quaint place called "The Bad Ass Bistro". The food was great and I had this delicious Sticky Toffee Pudding for dessert. It was really wicked, but thoroughly enjoyable.
Tonight was an optional "Scottish night". Probably about half of the tour went along for dinner and the show which included Highland dancers, bagpipers, and, of course, the Ceremony of the Haggis(?!@#$).
But most of the talk afterwards was the international incident that occurred halfway during the night with this russian woman we named "Olga"... She'd moved her chair right in-front of our prime viewing location and was blocking the view for some of my fellow tour-mates. My polite requests asking her to move were met with a grunt...
She didn't obstruct my view, but when she started filming the audience and pointing her camera in my face, that's when I got a bit annoyed, so I put my hand up in front of her camera to stop her filming me and the rest of our group. This didn't go down to well and she slapped my hand away (and made me spill my wine)... Anyway, I got the point across that we didn't want to be filmed, and she eventually moved back to her own table.
There was a Polish Choir in the crowd so they were asked to sing a song, which they did. It was all a bit Irish - a Polish song at a Scottish night, that sounds so Irish.
On the way back to the hotel, we had a photo-stop to see Edinburgh Castle at night.
To see all of my photos from today, click here.
Hotel details
Capital Hotel Edinburgh
(Kay's hotel rating - Good)












No comments:
Post a Comment
Let me know what you think..