It was another gorgeous day in NYC, so I decided to tick another thing of my "must do in NYC" list. Yes, today is the day I walked over the Brooklyn Bridge. I caught the 6 train from 51st Street to the Brooklyn Bridge - City Hall stop. It was then very easy to find my way to the the actual bridge to commence the walk. It wasn't overly busy on the bridge and I followed the rules and stuck to the pedestrian walkway. As I was doing a self-portrait with Manhattan in the background, a local gal on her weekend run stopped and asked if I wanted her to take my pic which was a little unexpected, but totally appreciated.
When I made it to the Brooklyn side, I spent some time exploring Brooklyn Heights and DUMBO before I headed back to Manhattan.
Once back on Manhattan I made my way to South Street Seaport so I could see what shows were available at TKTS for this evening. There were a few options, but I ended up getting a discounted ticket for the musical Memphis. From here I wandered up to Wall St, so I got to see the NY Stock Exchange and Trinity Church before I headed back uptown.
Sightseeing over, it was time for my Broadway Blitz to continue. First up was the matinee performance of Balanchine's The Nutcracker Ballet (Choreography by: George Balanchine - Music by: Peter Ilyitch Tschaikovsky) which was performed by the New York City Ballet at the David H. Koch Theate at Lincoln Center.
After the performance I grabbed a bite to eat before heading to the Schubert Theatre for the evening performance of Tony Award winning "Memphis: The Musical" which is loosely based on Memphis disc jockey Dewey Phillips, one of the first white DJs to play african american music in the 1950s. Adam Pascal was the male lead in this production, and I think the reason I ended up selecting this as my show to see tonight was because I'd seen Adam star alongside Josh in 'Chess in Concert' in London back in 2008.
After the show as I started to wander back to the hotel, I noticed a crowd gathering outside the Lunt-Fontanne Theater, home to "The Addams Family" musical. From all my pre-trip research I knew that Brooke Shields had joined the show, and I assumed they were waiting for her so I kind of hung around to see if my she'd appear. Well my intuition was spot on, and after waiting only 2-3 minutes, Brooke appeared. I didn't get anything signed (didn't think it would be a good look to hand over a Memphis playbill)... After seeing her for a few moments, it was then time to head back to the Pod for a good night's sleep.




No comments:
Post a Comment
Let me know what you think..