There's not a real lot to report today as it was basically a travel day. I survived the flight from Budapest to Paris without any dramas. It was the first time I'd flown EasyJet, so it was the first time I had to face their free seating policy. It actually worked out quite fine and I ended up with an aisle seat in the second row.
On arrival at Orly, I caught the train into the centre of Paris and it was so good to be back.
Like any good Paris hotel, my lodgings for the next 4 nights would be at the Hotel Paris Louvre Opera, and like any good Paris hotel it apparently has a 'magnificent history''. In this case, the historic, seventeeth-century building was the former home of the painter Toulouse Lautrec. But there's no way to know if he actually 'lived' here for 1 night or if it was more like 10 years. LOL
The location of the hotel is fantastic as it's just off the Avenue de l'Opera which means it's very close to to the Opera Garnier, the Musee du Louvre and the shopping heaven of Galleries Lafayette.
It was quite late in the afternoon by the time I got to the hotel, after I had the brilliant idea to walk from the Châtelet – Les Halles metro station. Thankfully some very kind Parisians helped drag my luggage up the stairs when the escalators weren't working. It took me about 35-45 minutes to walk to the hotel, but truth be told it was actually quite a good way to re-establish my bearings.
After I checked-in and found my “very Parisian” room, I headed out for an early dinner. While I was out the heavens opened up so that put an end to doing some night-time sightseeing. I actually got pretty drenched coming back to the hotel, as I'd left my umbrella in my suitcase. D'oh!!!!
Even though it was a pretty easy day, I was quite tired, so I had a fairly early night and I'm sure I'll make up with lots of sightseeing in the next couple of days.
No comments:
New comments are not allowed.