Today I headed out of Rome to the Umbrian hill town of Orvieto. It's a quaint little town situated situated on the flat summit of a large butte of volcanic tuff.
Having successfully navigated the Roma Termini (main train station) I purchased my ticket and boarded the train. It was a pretty journey and after two stops and just over an hour, I arrived in Orvieto.
To get up to the town, I had to take the funicular which took only a couple of minutes. The town itself reminded me of St Paul de Vance in the south of France, but much bigger. I had a lovely lunch of pizza and beer before I continued exploring. I again paid for the pleasure(?!) of walking down (and then up again) the 248 steps (or 62 metres) of St Patrick's Well. Having been commissioned by Pope Clemment VII 1527, the well has a unique design featuring two spiral staircases.
When I got back to Rome, I headed towards the city centre where I had some dinner, before catching some great night time photos of the Il Vittoriano monument, Ponte Sant' Angelo and Castel Sant' Angelo.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Let me know what you think..