“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

06 October 2010

Day 03: Rome

It was a magnificent day today, with blue skies and hardly a cloud in the sky. Given the great weather I thought it would be the perfect day to climb the dome of St Peter's for a spectacular view of Rome. But you know what they say about the best laid plans.
I arrived at St Peter's square, which is only about a 5-10 minute walk away from my hotel, and although I knew that the Papal audience was on today, I failed to realize that given the audience was taking place in the square, the basilica itself would be closed. I ummed and arghed for awhile before deciding to stay for the audience as there's no way to know what the weather will be like later in the week.
Newlyweds in their full wedding outfits...
No bulletproof glass - was a little surprised by this...
Eventually we were allowed into the basilica at around 1pm and I made my way to the entrance to the cupola (dome). So here's where I whimped out a got the elevator for part of the journey, so instead of climbing 551 stairs, I only climbed 320. I was still exhausted, but the view from the top was well worth it. It was truly spectacular and given it was such a clear day, the views were glorious.
 
The final few stairs...
 
The Vatican Museum
After I descended, I arrived in the basilica itself, so I thought I may as well look around as my last visit inside was fairly rushed. And all I can say is that it was just as impressive second time around.
 
 
 
 
When I got back to the hotel at around 5pm I decided that I'd have a bit of a nanna nap before heading out to find some dinner. Well... I guess evertything finally caught up with me as when I woke up it was 2:30am. Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think..