The whole process to get on the SCAVI tour (as it is known) was an experience in itself. Back in March I sent off a fax to the Vatican's Excavations Office requesting a place on a tour for the week I'd be in Rome. You're unable to request a specific time and date and have to rely on the stars aligning. But as I'd sent my request SO early with a few options, I was always fairly confident I'd be ok. Anyway, a few weeks later I got an email to say that I had a reserved place for the 9:45am English speaking SCAVI tour on Friday October 8th. I was instructed to pay the pay 12€ fee within 30 days otherwise my place would be forfeited. I followed the instructions and within a few days of payment I received confirmation that I would be on the tour.
| The Excavations Office |
The Excavations Office is reached through the Holy Office Gate (through Colonnade to the left). Upon arrival, present the Swiss Guards with your letter of confirmation received from the Office which contains the time of your visit. Tickets will be able to be collected from the Excavations Office 10 minutes prior to the time of the tour. Since the visitors will see the tomb of St. Peter during the course of the tour, they must be dressed in a manner appropriate to a sacred place. Shoulders of both men and women must be covered. Women must skirts or dresses beneath their knees or else trousers. Men must wear trousers.There were 13 of us on our tour lead by an American scholar, and small world as it is, he'd actually gone to the same college as one of the people on our tour. All up it took about 1hr 15mins and was well worth it. The tour ended in the Grottoes near the final resting place of Pope John Paul II. It really was quite amazing and I'm so glad that I found out about it.
| The rooftop garden at Hotel Colors |
It really was a great show and it will be great to see the boys again in December when they bring the show down under. After the concert, traffic was crazy so I walked home. It took around 45 minutes, but I'm sure I got there sooner than if I'd waited.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Let me know what you think..