“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

04 October 2010

Day 01: Brisbane to Rome

Not much too say, except it's a bloody long way from Brisbane to Rome. It was my first time flying Emirates and although it was ok I think I prefer Singapore Airlines. Given Joscelyn was able to drop me at the airport, I was out there fairly early, as it was a case of either wait at her place or wait at the airport, so I took option 2.

I had checked in on-line early on Sunday and this was a great way to bypass the main check in line at the airport.

Flight EK433 - Seat 49G
Brisbane International – Changi International, Singapore (7hrs 45mins)
Snack – Vegetable pie
Breakfast – Breakfast grill (Chicken patty, veal chipolatta, grilled roma tomato & roasted potatoes; and croissant with butter and jam.
Entertainment – Glee (Accafellas) and Letter to Juliette
Getting my "Groban" fix...  Thank you Emirates.
My view of Changi Airport
Layover – 1hr 20mins

Flight EK433 - Seat 49G
Changi International, Singapore – Dubai International (7hrs 10mins)
Lunch – Asian beef salad; Pan fried parrot fish with cajun spices, served with tomato concasse, buttered broccoli, red peppers and herb mashed potatoes; and blueberry cheesecake with raspberry coulis and whipped cream.
Entertainment – When in Rome; The Twilight Saga - Eclipse; and The Killers – Live at the Royal Albert Hall, London.

Layover – 3hrs

Flight EK095 - Seat 23B
Dubai International – Rome Fiumicino Airport (6hrs 20mins)
Dinner – German style potato salad; Grilled herb chicken marinated and grilled, served with a tangy cacciatore sauce, herbed potato cubes and mixed seasonal vegetables; and tiramisu – a light coffee flavoured mousse with a spongy biscuit and chocolate sauce.
Entertainment – Toy Story 3; Knight and Day; and Grown Ups.

I'd organised a transfer from the airport to my hotel – Hotel Colors, so I was fairly happy to see a man holding a sign with my name on it when I cleared all the formalities.  My hotel is fairly close to the Vatican and Castel Sant' Angelo. My room is on the 3rd level, and in a building with no elevator, it was pretty fun dragging my suitcase up multiple flights of stairs. NOT!!! But as I'm here for 5 nights, it will be awhile before I have to drag them down. I'm in the small double room with private facilities and I think it's bigger than some of the rooms I stayed in while in London.  I'm staying here when I come back to Rome on the 15-18th so I know what I'm in for.

View from my hotel room at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think..