“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

12 October 2010

Day 09: Naples to Vencie

So I was up nice and early this morning to catch my 8:50am Alitalia flight from Naples to Venice.  Apart from the taxi guy trying to rip me off, it all went pretty smoothly.  The flight was only an hour so we just had time to have a drink before landing at Marco Polo airport.
From here I collected my pre-purchased 72hr transportation card which included the 20 minute bus ride to Piazzale Roma where I was able to jump on a Vaporetto (water bus) to the S. Zaccaria stop. From here it was less than a 2 minute walk to my accommodation at the Ca' dei Dogi.

I then spent the rest of the day wandering the alleyways of Venice, getting lost and then finding my way around.
 
  
In the afternoon I caught a vaporetto over to the island of Murano or "the glass island" as it is also know.  The original glass factories started here way back in 1291 as they represented a fire danger to Venice.  In my opinion, not everything on sale here is something I'd want to take home, but were a few really nice pieces.  But given my budget and the fact I'd have to lug these things half way around the world, I came away with only a few little trinkets.
 
 
 
 
I really enjoyed exploring Venice as my last visit consisted of only a few hours before heading back to the mainland.  Being able to wander the streets at dusk and at night was a very pleasant way to spend my evening.  Of course, gelato was involved after dinner... LOL
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think..