Today was Mel's first day off work and we did the City route of the
Big Bus Tour of Dubai.
Our first stop was the Dubai Creek where we did a 1hr Dhow cruise .
 |
| Notice anything strange... |
 |
| Yes, they are cars under all those boxes... |
 |
| A traditional "Abra" crossing the Dubai creek... |
Next stop - the Dubai Museum
 |
| The crane - also known as the national bird of Dubai (Yes I know it's another bad attempt at humor...) |
Next up we headed around to the Sheikh Saeed Al Maktoum House, but before we saw this rebuilt house of the Ruler of Dubai from 1921 to 1958, Mel and I were pretty peckish so we grabbed a bite to eat.
 |
| Hummus with beef... |
 |
| Chicken with cheese and the mixed grill. YUM! |
One thing that you see alot of in Dubai are the traditional windtowers. These rectangular or squre shaped towers were built on top of the main rooms of traditional houses. Cross walls were built between the corners giving four triangular openings to catch the breeze and were an early form of ventilation.
The final stop for the day was the Dubai Gold Souk and all I can say is OMG. This place is amazing.. I have never in my life seen so much gold in one place... There are apparently over 300 retailers, but I only braved going into one shop and what an experience that was. The minute you walk in the door, you're offered a seat, a cold drink and start bringing out trays and trays of what ever you're interested in, whether it be rings, earrings or chains.
With so much to choose from, I ended up looking at gold and diamond earrings. I sort of took the approach that this visit was more like a reconnaissance mission to scope out the place and get a feel for the whole process so I'd be better prepared when it was time to purchase.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Let me know what you think..