Rant time!!!
I've got to say (and pardon the language) it really pisses me off when I tell people I'm going overseas by myself, and then I get from some, this almost condescending "Oooohhhh by yourself, that's brave. There's no way I could do that. Won't you be lonely? How can you travel by yourself? Blah, blah, blah"! Hello people, I'm single, not 12...
I know I'm probably reading too much into it, but it's almost like because I'm single I should stay at home twiddling my fingers. NOT BLOODY LIKELY... I certainly find that traveling as a single gives me the freedom to do what I want, when I want. And yes, it can sometimes get a bit lonely, but on the plus-side, it almost forces me out of my introverted self. There is of course another obvious downside to traveling as a single, and that is the cost and not being able to split expenses... But there's no way on earth I'm going to let that stop me.
Now don't get me wrong, it's also great to travel with someone, and I'm not by any means knocking people who don't travel as a single. To have someone with you for those shared experiences is priceless. But as my life stands at the moment, it's either travel by myself or stay at home (and I think I've already made my views on option two pretty clear).
At the end of the day I've been extremely lucky to see many parts of this amazing world. Sometimes as part of a tour group, but at other times braving some of the world's largest cities by myself and I wouldn't change a thing. I really look forward to continuing my travel adventures from now until I'm at least 90, regardless if it's by myself or with someone.
OK, rant over!
I had the exact same thing said to me when I went to Europe! and you know what? I had an absolute blast! I think everyone should do it at least once
ReplyDelete