“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

12 June 2010

More research...

Visites des Coulisses de la Tour Eiffel (English translation - Behind the Scenes Tour of the Eiffel Tower)
The Eiffel Tower @ dusk...
To be honest, as I started thinking about the Paris portion of my trip, a visit up the Eiffel Tower didn't really seem necessary, as on both previous visits to the French capital I'd visited the 2nd level of tower so I felt like it was a case of 'been there, done that'.

Last year, Mum & I had planned visit to the very top but our plans were thwarted by the Obama's who were visiting France for the D Day commemorations. Michelle (Obama) and the girls were scheduled to visit later that night which meant access to the very top was not available to us due to security reasons.  Read about it here.
Rockin' the wind-swept look...
So I was quite content that my upcoming visit to Paris would not include a visit up the tower, this was until I discovered that there is a "Behind the Scenes of the Eiffel Tower" tour which goes to places not normally seen by tourists and includes the original machine room where the elevators are controlled, a bunker located under the Champ de Mars garden, the control room and technical gallery situated under the first floor where you can admire the spectacular view over the square 57 metres below.

The tour only runs on Saturday & Wednesday @ 10am and 5:30pm, which will work out great for me as I arrive from Budapest early Saturday afternoon and then depart for Dubai late on Wednesday evening.

I sent off a request and they responded that I was a bit early and to email them in early September.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think..