“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

28 April 2008

D05: London

Today it was time to explore London a little bit more. I decided early on that I'd try and see a show tonight before heading off on the tour, so I headed into Leicester Square to see what shows were available.
In the end I decided to get a ticket to see "Wicked".

After getting my ticket for the show, I started wandering, although I didn't really know where I was going, but that didn't worry me in the slightest. I eventually ended up at "The Mall", so without planning it, this was the time I was going to see Buckingham Palace.
I was a bit early for the "Changing of the Guard", and even though all the tourist guides claim that it's a "must see" I couldn't be bothered sticking around, but I did manage to catch some soldiers practicing their band moves at some barracks close by.

Next on the agenda was one thing I'd been planning to see for months. It's not what you'd normally associate with a London tourist attraction, but it was on my "must see" list. I headed out to Earls Court to see the "Doctor Who Up Close Exhibition" which showcased the largest ever Doctor Who display in the UK and included props, costumes, monsters and creatures from the tv series. On display was the famous TARDIS, K9, Daleks, Cybermen, plus many of the Doctor's other enemies and much more... It was such a hoot!!!

Before heading back to the hotel, I decided it was time to check out the Royal Albert Hall. So after getting the tube back to the High Street Kensington, I caught my first red bus (Number 9) which stopped directly opposite the Royal Albert Hall. OMJ - It's huge!!!

And how surprised was I when I read What's On... (hint - check out May 12-13):
And then there was this:
And thanks to some random passer-by:
 
After a quick power nap I headed back into the area around the Victoria Apollo Theatre for some dinner before the evening performance of "WICKED".

This gives a basic synopsis of the show:
"Long before Dorothy drops in, two other girls meet in the land of Oz. One, born with emerald-green skin, is smart, fiery and misunderstood. The other is beautiful, ambitious and very popular. Wicked tells the story of their remarkable odyssey, how these two unlikely friends grow up to become the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda the Good Witch".
Wicked explores the early life of the witches of Oz: Glinda and Elphaba. The two main characters meet at Shiz, a school where both hope to take up sorcery. Glinda is madly popular and Elphaba is, well, green. By a misunderstanding, they wind up roommates and, after an initial period of mutual loathing, begin to learn something about each other. Their life paths continue to intersect through a shared love, entry into the Emerald City and interaction with the Wizard himself. Eventually, their choices and convictions take them on widely different paths.
I really enjoyed the show, however, I think my travels started to catch up with me towards the end... I didn't hang around long afterwards and I had my first ride in a London taxi back to the hotel.

And as a side note, Kerry Ellis played the role Elphaba and she's also going to be in Chess along with Josh.

To see all of my pics from today click here.

Once back at the hotel, I tried to tidy up and pack for the early start tomorrow of my tour.

Hotel details
Kensington Close Hotel
(Kay's hotel rating - Good, but very tiny rooms)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think..