“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

26 April 2008

D03: Hong Kong

Last night I decided that today I'd do another tour that went into the New Territories and then up to the boarder with China.

Our itinerary included:
1. Chuk Lam Sm Yuen (Bamboo Forest Monastery) - a glimpse into the world of Chinese traditions and worship with a visit to one of Hong Kong's most exquisite Buddhist monasteries.

2. Route 3 - a refreshing escape with the Ting Kau / Tsing Ma Bridges via the pictureque section of Route 3 to Yuen Long.

3. Kam Tin Walled Village (Ha Hing Wai) - experience the culture of the ancient Hakkas with a walk through a 700 year old fortified village, one of the few that exists.


4. Lok Ma Chau - rustic landscape against a modern backdrop of skyscrapers; a unique position to stand in Hong Kong and look to China.

5. Wishing Tree - according to tradition, wishes will be granted if the paper catches one of the branches of the Banyan tree.

6. Kaiser Estates - home of factory outlets and the workshop of one of the largest local jewellers before returning to the hotel.

Once home from the tour, I headed into the central part of Tsim Sha Tsui for a bit of a look around before heading to the "Peninsula Hotel" for their world famous "high tea". It's a tourist draw, but it really is worth a visit, just to experience the grandeur of the "The Peninsula Lobby". Afternoon tea is served from 2pm - 7pm, with entertainment provided by a 4 piece string quartet. I was there on a Saturday and I got there a bit early, but it was a good thing I did as there was quite a crowd. Not long after I was seated, all the tables were full and there was already quite a line forming.

Afternoon tea consisted of a multi-tiered tray of assorted sandwiches, scones (accompanied by a fluffy, whipped butter and fresh strawberry preserves), pastries, chocolates and other sweets; and a choice of tea, but as I don't do 'tea', I went for a hot chocolate instead.



The rest of my photo's from the day can be found here.

Finally, one of the weirdest things I saw during my couple of days in Hong Kong was how they used bamboo scaffolding on buildings (even the skyscrapers). It was really quiet weird to see, but I guess it's worked well over hundreds or even thousands of years, so I guess who fix what ain't broken.


Hotel details
Regal Kowloon Hotel
(Kay's hotel rating - Very good)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think..