“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

30 August 2012

Caramels au beurre salé...

I need to confess that I'm more than a little obsessed with salted caramel.I've always loved caramel, but salted caramel just takes it to a whole new level...

After coming across a recipe earlier this week, I decided to try my hand at making some caramels au beurre salé (salted butter caramels).  Here's how they turned out.


What you'll need:
  • 375g raw castor sugar
  • 250g good-quality salted butter (diced and chilled)
  • 5 tbsp creme fraiche
  • Sea salt flakes to garnish (I use fleur de sel)

4 simple ingredients
Step-by-step:
  • Grease and line a 20-centimetre square slice tin with baking paper. 
  • In a heavy-based saucepan, place the sugar over a medium heat. Cook to quite a dark caramel. 
  • Turn the heat down low and carefully add the butter, a few cubes at a time, making sure it is all incorporated before adding more. 
  • Stir in creme fraiche and continue to cook until thickened (118C on a digital or sugar thermometer). Pour into tray and sprinkle over salt flakes. 
  • Allow to cool, then refrigerate until set. 
  • Cut into squares to serve. 
Oh lordy, I just tried one... They are really rich but oh so heavenly.

Recipe source 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think..