“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

23 March 2010

A Return to Rome...

After initially booking my trip and working it in around the U2 concert in Rome I've now decided that following the announcement by the Vatican on February 19th that Mary MacKillop will be canonized as Australia's first Saint on Sunday 17th October, I want to try and secure tickets to attend this probably once-in-a-lifetime event.

Apart from landing in Rome and then departing from Paris, my itinerary while in Europe is pretty much in my hands, so I can definitely work it in.  My thoughts are that after U2, I'll spend that next week exploring somewhere in Europe (? Budapest, Venice, London maybe) before returning to Rome for the Canonization that following weekend. 

While I was raised a Catholic, and had 12 years of schooling under the 'guidance' of the Sisters of Mercy, I'm not what you could call overly religious (probably much to my mother's disappointment). However, following the announcement, and knowing I'd be in Europe when the Canonization was to occur, the more I really felt like I want to be there to be apart of this event., because I just know that if I don't, it would be the one thing I regretted not doing while in Europe.

Another reason I would like to attend, it that apart from Mary MacKillop being Australian, and our first ever Saint, my mum was taught by the Sisters of St Joseph, which is the order of Nun's founded by Mary MacKillop.  You can find out more about Mary here.

Tickets for the Canonisation will be free (another bonus), and now I'm just waiting on the Vatican to release allocation details which I'm hoping won't be that far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think..